Saturday, August 13, 2005


Hm. I finally told my dad.

It was about half-past nine on Friday night, and I was still waiting for the post to arrive with my package. I took out "B.P.R.D. : Plague of Frogs" TPB to pass the time and whined about the mail system in general... so my dad looked up from his book and asked what was arriving.

So that led to an summarisation of entire Mike Mignola, Hellboy and B.P.R.D. universe, and him flipping through my two B.P.R.D. TPBs...

"That's Johann, he was a German psychic, you know, connect with the dead and all that? Yeah, he was out of his body when it was burnt to bits, so he's not dead persay. Just doesn't have a body.

Flip, flip.

"Hm. Who's that?"

"That's Johann, Dad."

And:

"So this is Abe Sapien?"

"No Dad. That's Johann. Abe is this guy, the fish-man."

"Oh. Ugh. Ugly."

But he was really interested. He did get a little worried about the paranormal aspect ("You... don't get nightmares?"), but that's Dad.

He reads stuff on Afterlife theories and Nostradamus and quantam physics. Not that Dad is a nut-freak about this stuff. In fact, he's pretty much the opposite, a pretty quiet guy who likes his Chinese teapots and stays away from crowds. He... hoards things, including infomation, useless bits of miscelly. I get that from him.
We both like to think we can use all that junk someday.

My Mum was nearby listening, and contributing a snort or two in her amused motherly fashion. I kept talking, even when Dad got up and brushed his teeth, and lay down, and closed his eyes...

Later, I overheard Mum and Dad speaking:

"So that's what she's been doing with her time. So complicated. They don't have simple stories anymore, like when we were children."

"Well, uh, it's okay. It's like science fiction, you know... *snore*"

At this point I stuck my head round the door and said:

"Um, by the way, I'd like to marry this Abe Sapien."

Dad nodded, and Mum, without looking up from her book:

"Well, if you find him and bring him home first, than you can do what you want.

And don't step on your brother on the way out."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

well....I randomly scream Shinya or Nao so randomly nowadays that my mom has convinced herself that she's Shinya's mother in law and toshiya's boss....so....my dad still has a problem....

Anonymous said...

Nice site!
[url=http://tqcghrox.com/vobw/zivg.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://zidpycvj.com/ptvz/ihue.html]Cool site[/url]

Anonymous said...

Good design!
My homepage | Please visit